- 8 San Marzano plum tomatoes
- 10 Datterini tomatoes
- Punnet of cherry vine tomatoes
- Generous drizzle of olive oil
- 2 onions
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 kitchen spoon of sugar
- 2 kitchen spoons of red wine vinegar
- 2 kitchen spoons of passata
- Small bunch of basil
- Zest of half a lemon
- Generous pinch of sea salt
- Milled black pepper
- Handful of Caprino (soft goats cheese), to serve
- Balsamic vinegar and extra virgin olive oil, to serve
MISE EN PLACE:
- Cut all tomatoes in half
- Peel and finely chop the onions
- Smash the garlic cloves
- Separate the basil into leaves and stalks
- Plug in liquidiser
- Ready your sugar, red wine vinegar and passata
- In a large saucepan over a medium to low heat, add a generous splash of olive oil and sweat your finely chopped onions and smashed garlic cloves together until translucent.
- Whilst these sweat slowly, make your gastrique – a sugar and vinegar reduction. Measure 2 kitchen spoons of red wine vinegar and 1 of sugar to the sweating onions and boil down until syrupy and viscous. In three or four short minutes you should have a bubbling syrup, nearly caramelising the onion and garlic.
- Add your chopped tomatoes and stir.
- Simmer over a medium heat for 15 minutes, adding a generous splash of cold water if too thick.
- Next add 2 kitchen spoons of passata and another glug of plain olive oil.
- Drop in some basil stalks for about 5 minutes. Basil should only be added at the end for perfume.
- Add a good pinch of sea salt, milled black pepper and a few drops of Tobasco sauce.
- Push half through a mouli or sieve and liquidise the other half, then fold both together for texture.
- Serve chilled or hot.
- Add torn basil leaves, crumbled goats cheese and zest of half a lemon.
- Finish with a good glug of extra virgin olive oil and a small drizzle of balsamic vinegar.
BATTERIE DE CUISINE:
- Cooking pot
- Wooden spoon
- Chopping board
- Serving vessel
- Pepper mill
- Tea towel
Follow us on instagram
Please enter a User ID on the Instagram Feed plugin Settings page
Please enter an Access Token on the Instagram Feed plugin Settings page