- 6-7 uncooked beetroots
- Water to cover
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Good handful of sugar
- Pinch of salt
- Large knob of butter
- 1 generous tablespoon of ‘Eaten Alive’ smoky pink kraut (sauerkraut) per soup bowl
- Generous dollop of sour cream
- Generous dollop of cottage cheese
- Zest of a lemon
- 1 tsp chopped dill
- 1-2 dill pickles
- Milled black pepper, to serve
- Glug of extra virgin olive oil, to serve
MISE EN PLACE
- Scrub the outside of the beetroots in cold water to clean.
- Ready a pan of water with the red wine vinegar, pinch of salt and handful of sugar.
- Combine together the sour cream, cottage cheese, lemon zest and chopped dill.
- Using a mandolin or sharp knife, finely slice the dill pickles length ways.
- Plug in liquidiser ready.
- Place the scrubbed beetroots in the pan and boil over a high heat for an hour and a bit.
- Reserve the stock and then let the beetroots cool.
- Rub the skins off with your hands (wear gloves if you can’t handle it).
- Strain the stock through a sieve and reduce down for 10-15 minutes
- Dice half of the beetroots into fingernail size cubes.
- Blend the rest of the beetroots with the stock and a large knob of butter.
- Taste to see if the sweetness is there and add more butter or seasoning where required.
- Chill down the soup and diced beetroot.
- Take your bowl(s) and build the sauerkraut high in the centre.
- Then ladle your soup around the kraut, scattering a good handful of diced beetroot for texture.
- Dollop the sour cream mixture on top of the kraut or slightly to the side, still retaining height.
- Bend / twist the wafer thin dill pickles slightly and arrange again in the centre.
- Repeat this kraut, cream and pickle layering to get the required height for the dish.
- Grate more lemon zest and add a few fronds of dill.
- Finish with milled black pepper and a glug of extra virgin olive oil.
BATTERIE DE CUISINE:
- Cooking pot
- Wooden spoon
- Chopping board
- Serving vessel
- Pepper mill
- Tea towel
- Vichyssoise, leek, potatoes, parsley, sourdough garlic & crisp guanciale baconSexy Soup Kitchen Recipes