- 275ml soy sauce
- 150ml sake or rice wine vinegar
- 150ml mirin
- 3 star anise
- Half a tsp of coriander seeds
- 30g ginger root
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 red chilli
- 2 small pieces of dried tangerine peel
- Small handful of coriander stalks
- Outer leaf of lemongrass, bruised
- 600ml water
Tom Kha Paste:
- 5cm/2in piece ginger, peeled, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic loves, peeled
- 1 stalk lemongrass, bruised
- small bunch fresh coriander, leaves chopped, roots reserved
- 1-2 shallots peeled, quartered
- 1 medium green chilli, seeds removed, roughly chopped
- 3 fresh or 6 dried kaffir lime leaves
- 2 limes, zest only
Tom Kha Gai Soup:
- Glug of olive oil
- 750ml chicken stock (1 bouillon cubes)
- 250ml master stock
- 400ml / tin of coconut milk
- 3 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 chicken breast
- Handful button mushrooms
- 1-2 oyster mushrooms
- Handful of cherry tomatoes
- 2 pea aubergines
- 2-3 bok choi hearts
- Small handful spinach
- Small handful Thai basil leaves
- Small handful coriander leaves
- 1 small green chilli, sliced
- 1-2 limes, juice only, plus more to serve
- Olive oil, to serve
- Toasted sesame oil, to serve
MISE EN PLACE:
- Roughly chop the master stock vegetables.
- Measure the soy, sake, mirin and water out into a large saucepan.
- Peel and roughly chop the ginger, garlic and shallots for the paste.
- Bruise the lemongrass stalk with a rolling pin.
- Roughly chop the medium green chilli and coriander leaves.
- Zest and juice 2 limes.
- Halve the cherry tomatoes.
- Cut the pea aubergines in half length ways and then cut into finer wedges.
- Finely slice the small green chilli.
- Tear the oyster mushrooms into smaller pieces.
- Blanche the choi hearts in salted boiling water for a few seconds then plunge into iced water, reserve.
- Finely slice the chicken breast as thin as possible.
- Mix a tsp or olive oil with half a tsp of toasted sesame oil, ready to garnish at the end.
- Put all the ingredients in a large saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Sieve and store in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
Tom Kha Gai Soup:
- For the paste, blend the paste ingredients in a food processor until smooth.
- For the soup, heat the olive oil in a large saucepan and fry the paste over a medium heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in the coconut milk and fish sauce.
- Add the chicken stock and master stock and reduce for a few minutes.
- Sieve the stock until it’s clear.
- Add the chicken pieces, and allow them to cook in the broth for 2 minutes.
- Add the aubergine, mushrooms, spinach, tomato halves and continue to cook for a further minute.
- Drop the choi hearts in just before serving.
- To serve, add the lime juice to the soup and season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Garnish with thai basil leaves, coriander leaves and sliced chilli.
- Squeeze over a little more lime juice to taste and finish with the olive oil and toasted sesame oil mixture.
BATTERIE DE CUISINE:
- Cooking pot
- Wooden spoon
- Chopping board
- Serving vessel
- Pepper mill
- Tea towel
- Vichyssoise, leek, potatoes, parsley, sourdough garlic & crisp guanciale baconSexy Soup Kitchen Recipes