Toffee Apple Crumble
Crumble season is well and truly here. Go the extra mile and pre-cook the apples and crumble – it’s a belter.
6 large Bramley apples, peeled & diced
225g unsalted butter
Light soft brown sugar to taste
1 cinnamon stick
2 star anise
115g plain flour
¼ zest unwaxed lemon,
¼ zest unwaxed orange
55g nibbed almonds
30g ground almonds
55g muscovado sugar
1 Bramley apple
140g granulated sugar
Double cream or custard
- Sauté the apples in half the butter.
- Add the light soft brown sugar, cinnamon stick, star anise & cook for 10 min until apples caramelise & are soft.
- Put the flour & remaining butter in a food processor & whizz until mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the lemon & orange zest, nibbed almonds, ground almonds & muscovado sugar.
- Spread the crumble on a baking tray & oven bake for 10 min in a oven preheated to 190C.
- Pour sautéed apples into an ovenproof dish & cover with the crumble, then cook for 15 minutes.
- To serve the crumble with caramelised apple slices, cut 8-12 thin slices from the apple.
- Heat the sugar with ½ pint water until dissolved, then boil until it becomes a syrup.
- Dip each apple slice, then serve a couple slices with each portion of crumble.
- Finish with cream or custard.
Follow us on instagram
Please enter a User ID on the Instagram Feed plugin Settings page
Please enter an Access Token on the Instagram Feed plugin Settings page